Hiking in Alaska: Lion’s Head, Glacier View

To use the word ‘hiking’ to describe the climb to the summit of Lion’s Head in Alaska is probably a little misleading.

It is more of a dirt-under-the-fingernails scramble; with a little climbing and hiking thrown into the mix along the way. While it only takes about an hour to reach the top of this rocky outcrop, the climb is steep and the trail is rough and overgrown in parts.

Lion's Head as seen from the Glenn Highway

A great view of the approach to Lion’s Head from the Glenn Highway.

The dirt road that leads to the trailhead.

The dirt road that leads to the trailhead.

It seems that no matter where you are hiking in Alaska, there is a very good chance that you may encounter a grizzly bear.

This was a constant niggling in the back of my mind any time I was out hiking in Alaska and I was (somewhat) reassured that our friend, Jamie carried a fairly hefty gun slung over his shoulder as we made our ascent.

Even if hiking is not really your thing, an hour of scrambling to the summit with the reward of one of the most stunning views in the Glacier View area of Alaska is a pretty good trade off.

Fall colours and mountains from Lion's Head

Fall colours and mountain views from Lion’s Head

Lion’s Head is located between the Talkeetna Mountains and Chugach National Forest and the panoramic views make it one of the best vantage points to see the 27 mile long Matanuska Glacier that is the pride and joy of Glacier View.

This sweeping river of ice flows from the Chugach Mountains and reaches 4 miles at its widest point.

The Matanuska Glacier also makes for some pretty spectacular glacier hiking and ice climbing if you’re game!

Matanuska Glacier from the peak of Lion's Head.

Being around 600 metres above the Matanuska Glacier means a stunning panoramic view when you reach the peak of Lion’s Head.

Travel Info: Lion's Head Hike
Lion’s Head is located at Mile Post 106 along the Glenn Highway, about a 2 hour drive east of Anchorage, Alaska. Allow an hour to reach the summit and give yourself plenty of time to fully appreciate the incredible views of the Matanuska Glacier and the Talkeetna and Chugach Mountain Ranges.

Alaska is grizzly bear country and this is not something to be taken lightly. When hiking in Alaska ensure you are fully prepared and knowledgeable of the precautions you need to take to stay safe.

CJ Thapa Mar 12 2013 - 6:04 pm Reply

It’s best choice sometime to go hiking, escaping from noisy and crowded city so that you’d be rewarded by such stunning natural beauty. I couldn’t believe there are such beautiful places in earth, really. The last one is more beautiful.
    CJ Thapa recently posted..Announcement: Trekking Package for 2013 Spring (March, April & May)My Profile

Vinnie Mar 13 2013 - 12:38 pm Reply

Alaska is really beautiful, amazing landscapes and pictures, quite different from other places that I have seen. Though I have heard that it is mostly covered by snow and large part of it is inaccessible or inhospitable to live.
    Vinnie recently posted..The Most Insured People in the UKMy Profile

Natalie Mar 13 2013 - 6:05 pm Reply

Amazing pictures! As I said, I can’t wait to go to Alaska. Let’s keep in touch, maybe we can cooperate somehow at some day! cheers, Nat

Quiet Wanderings Mar 14 2013 - 3:44 pm Reply

I’m sure you will have a fantastic time and lots of luck with the tours! Would love to join forces some day :)

Terry Mar 15 2013 - 7:51 am Reply

After looking at the summit view I would say it would be well worth the climb, some stunning photos you provide in your post. Having the thought of coming face to face with a grizzly would keep me nervous though.
    Terry recently posted..Best Backpacking TentMy Profile

Quiet Wanderings Mar 15 2013 - 4:58 pm Reply

You and me both, Terry!! I was constantly looking over my shoulder whenever I was hiking in Alaska. The only grizzlies I saw were at a nice and safe distance of around 200 metres…but, still…

Everest trek Mar 22 2013 - 9:11 am Reply

Very dreamy alska. it changes and refeshes the mentallity of us. really nice walking in the holidays time. i like to travel myself if i have time. oh!! so dreamy piciture and article.
    Everest trek recently posted..NAMASTE!My Profile

Teri Tess Jul 12 2016 - 8:13 am Reply

My family lived at the White Alice site at Lion’s Head from 1967 to 1973. My brother’s and I climbed it several times. Slow going up but fast coming down–lots of tundra to bounce down on. But beware: we have seen bear on the shelf and there were several momma moose — have experienced being chased by one or two. There is also a clear water spring before the climb, I wonder if it’s still running? It was just before the first steep slope.