Český Krumlov Castle, Czech Republic: Photo

Arriving in Český Krumlov and wandering through the cobbled streets is quite literally like stepping into a fairytale. The town’s location on a bend in the Vlatava River in the hills of South Bohemia in the Czech Republic only enhances this.

It is a slightly less likely destination in the winter months, but with far fewer tourists this time of year can be even more beautiful and intriguing: Imagine…mulled wine in cosy bars;  horse riding or hiking in the hills of Bohemia; enjoying delicious, hot garlic and cheese soup; or sinking into some cushions and sipping tea in the Dobra Cajovna Tea House.

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

View from the 13th century Cesky Krumlov Castle: Czech Republic

Overlooking the town is an imposing 13th century castle with magical views over the orange tiled roofs of the Old Town and on this chilly winter’s day in February we wandered the Český Krumlov Castle grounds and had the place more less to ourselves. Across the river in the delightful Old Town, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque buildings decorate the streets.

A stroll through the exterior of the Český Krumlov Castle and the gardens and courtyards won’t cost you a cent but visiting the interior of the castle is only possible on a guided tour.

Český Krumlov has become something of a tourist ‘mecca’ and I imagine this kind of solitude would be difficult to come by in the more densely populated summer months.

Have you visited Český Krumlov?

What time of year do you think is the best time to visit?

Darlene Foster Nov 12 2012 - 12:36 pm Reply

This is a place I would love to visit one day. great photo!

Quiet Wanderings Nov 13 2012 - 3:10 pm Reply

I highly recommend going in the off-season if you can, Darlene mostly so that you miss the summer crowds!

KathyM Nov 13 2012 - 9:08 am Reply

Thank you – a delightful description – and your photo seems like a scene from a fairytale!

Quiet Wanderings Nov 13 2012 - 3:08 pm Reply

Thanks, Kathy! I love looking at this photo – one of the few moment of sunshine that we had here.

Tom - Active Backpacker Nov 13 2012 - 5:29 pm Reply

I hear good things about it :)

It’s definitely on the tourist and backpacker trail (but there’s a reason for that though, because it’s worth seeing!). I didn’t make it there when I was in Czech Republic, but it looks nice! *adds it to the ever growing list of places to visit*
    Tom – Active Backpacker recently posted..Travel Cinemagraph Series: Rotterdam, Part IMy Profile

Quiet Wanderings Nov 13 2012 - 7:14 pm Reply

Ah yes, the ever growing list 😉 I don’t think my list has ever technically got any smaller. Thanks for stopping by, Tom!

David Jul 24 2013 - 4:22 pm Reply

I visited the Dobra Cajovna tea house in Cesky Krumlov in 2000 and was recently telling a friend about the experience. I googled and came across your blog and photo. It brought back many memories. Thanks for captuing the moment!

Quiet Wanderings Aug 7 2013 - 1:14 pm Reply

David, thanks so much for your comment. How lovely to have brought back those memories for you. I also have great memories of my time in the Czech Republic. I wish we had little tea houses like that in Australia!