House Sitting in Australia: A House by the Sea

Western Australia: A sunny 22 degree (celsius) day in the middle of winter is not unusual in this part of the world and enjoying a run or walk on the beach in the Southern Hemisphere winter sun is something I will never tire of.

It’s no secret that Western Australia has amazing weather. The winters are mild, the summers are hot…and they say there is some kind of interim seasons in between (spring and autumn I think they are called…)

In truth, outside of the heat of the summer months there is what I like to call a ‘perpetual autumn’….mostly sun, with a little rain, wind and thunder thrown in every now and then.

Winter in Western Australia often doesn’t look like winter. It looks more like this:

Busselton Jetty, Western Australia

House sitting in Australia: Busselton Jetty, Western Australia

Today is the first day of my first ever house sitting gig.  And it just happens to be two blocks from the glorious West Australian coastline.

It has been nearly eight years since I last had a place of my own and the lovely 2-bedroom apartment I rented for $125/week back then would be worth more than three times that now. That is not in most traveller’s budget, especially this one!

While it is something I have considered whilst travelling overseas, House sitting in Australia was not on my agenda. I am feeling incredibly blessed with this house by the sea that, for all intents and purpose is ‘mine’….at least for the next three months.

shells on beach

Seeing as I am on a not-so-strict wine-detox after all the food and wine I consumed in Italy, I felt it was only fitting to invite a friend over and open a bottle of good Australian red wine to celebrate. (The detox plan is working out famously, as you can probably tell….)

I woke up humming that Iron and Wine song ‘House By The Sea’ and I thought what better way to start the first morning in my new pad than with a run along one of the best running beaches ever!

Beach Western Australia

My beach. That’s right, it’s mine. I own it…I wish.

Of all my travels, the Western Australian coastline is still the most gorgeous I have ever seen and one of the first things I do when I get home from a long trip…is head to the coast. Margaret River is a fine example of Western Australian coastline town.  It attracts many professional surfers worldwide. Plan your next surfing trip to Margaret River with Expedia.

The downside is the unbearably hot summers….oh, and the sharks. Unfortunately, there has been an unusual increase in shark attacks and fatalities in the last 12 months. Divers, surfers, paddlers and swimmers have all come face to face with up to 5 meter long Great Whites (or some will tell you, it is the same Great White) and sadly many have not lived to tell the tale.

But walking on the beach has never been safer 😉

Point Peron, Rockingham.

Near Point Peron, Rockingham.

What does my temporary home near the beach have to do with travel, you ask? Everything actually.

Long-term house sits seem like the ideal arrangement for any traveller wanting to spend more than a couple of weeks in a place.  House sitting in Australia has become  more and more popular with travellers. I was lucky enough to know people who needed a house sitter while they are overseas, but the most common course is to register with an agency.

Flinders Bay near Augusta, Western Australia

Flinders Bay near Augusta, Western Australia

House sitting has been in the back of my mind for a while now – ever since I heard Pete and Dalene Heck from Hecktic Travels raving about their amazing house sitting gigs in places like Turkey, London and Brussels. These guys are the experts in everything to do with house sitting and have put together a fantastic House Sitting 101 post for all you need to get started.

As for me, I am no expert in house sitting but I do know this: if I could start every day with an hour or so on the beach, I would be one very happy woman.

Three months. Yes, I could get very used to this….

Sculptures by the Sea: Cottesloe, Western Australia

Sculptures by the Sea: Cottesloe, Western Australia

Dalene Jul 2 2012 - 1:24 pm Reply

Ok. When can we come over?

Looks GORGEOUS! :) And thanks for the shout-out!
    Dalene recently posted..On the WaterMy Profile

Quiet Wanderings Jul 2 2012 - 1:44 pm Reply

Haha, you guys are always welcome no matter where in the world I am! I have a casserole in the slow cooker as we speak…dinner tonight? 😉

Meg Jul 2 2012 - 6:03 pm Reply

This looks amazing Cherina! “OMG” were also the first words that came out of my mouth when I read about your house sitting job. We are very jealous! You should try to extend your stay out until November so we can come visit you and share a bottle of Australian red vino 😉
    Meg recently posted..A “Total Package” Meal On Lake Maggiore, Switzerland – Foodgasmic Tales From The RoadMy Profile

Quiet Wanderings Jul 2 2012 - 6:29 pm Reply

Oh we will definitely have a chance to share a vino, don’t you worry…and my seriously-failing-detox will be well and truly over by November 😉
      It would be great to be at this place til November, unlikely though. I am going to look into other house sits after this one so you must come stay with me of course! I can’t wait to catch up with you both again.

A Cook Not Mad (Nat) Jul 2 2012 - 10:21 pm Reply

Looks great, enjoy it! I know you will.
    A Cook Not Mad (Nat) recently posted..Happy 145th Birthday!My Profile

Trish Jul 3 2012 - 12:58 am Reply

Hmm I need to get on board with this. Do you know what you are doing around next Jan/Feb? That’s when we will be sorta in your area of the world. We aren’t 100% if we are going down under. We will be coming from South America headed towards South East Asia. Ry has already been to Australia (I haven’t) and he is trying to tell me that it’s really expensive. BTW, I love Iron and Wine. :)

Quiet Wanderings Jul 3 2012 - 2:25 pm Reply

Hmm, yeah Australia is expensive, I’m afraid. But it’s also awesome! :) And like anywhere, you can still travel here on a budget. Probably not covering too greater distances would be a good idea. Pick one or two areas and explore those.

And make sure one of them is where ever I am!! 😉 It would be so great to be able to meet up you with you two again. There’s a chance I might be in SE Asia in January for a bit so we may even be able to meet up there?

Darlene Foster Jul 3 2012 - 6:37 am Reply

Wow! This place looks amazing. I certainly could handle the weather too. Enjoy your house sitting. Look forward to more blogs and pictures.

Quiet Wanderings Jul 3 2012 - 2:41 pm Reply

The weather is just gorgeous, Darlene! Although, I do love the weather in British Columbia too – at least you guys have a ‘real’ winter :)

Candace Jul 3 2012 - 10:44 am Reply

“OMG” is right…these ocean views are incredible, Cherina! I’ve house-sat for two weeks before, but never three months – I can only imagine how much you will enjoy this beautiful spot :) I hope it proves very restful and productive for you…enjoy!
    Candace recently posted..conversations with micaela: introducing a new blog series.My Profile

Quiet Wanderings Jul 3 2012 - 2:47 pm Reply

Thanks so much, Candace! Restful and productive is what I am aiming for. Hopefully not so much time at the beach that the productivity suffers though 😉

• Trish Moratto via Facebook Jul 3 2012 - 11:30 am Reply

This threw me off for a second when I thought to my self “wow 22 degrees sounds SO freezing” then I realized that us silly Americans are the only ones who don’t use celsius :)

• Quiet Wanderings via Facebook Jul 3 2012 - 11:37 am Reply

Haha, yeah that would be a little chilly! Especially at the beach 😉 Thanks for pointing it out though, Trish! I usually try to remember to clarify “celsius” when I talk about temp – a huge amount of my readers are American…and you guys are SO not silly – more like awesome! :)

• Trish Moratto via Facebook Jul 3 2012 - 11:50 am Reply

What’s not awesome is that I only know imperial not metric. That’s embarrassing as a traveler. I need a cheat sheet :)

Nate Jul 8 2012 - 11:17 am Reply

There is something incredible about the winter weather in this part of the world, right?
    Nate recently posted..17 Reasons Why Fear of Failure is So Hot Right NowMy Profile

Andrea Jul 9 2012 - 1:39 am Reply

Gorgeous photos! John is from Perth and we always love trips there and to the south…enjoy your time =)
    Andrea recently posted..7 Reasons to Visit Estonia TodayMy Profile

Quiet Wanderings Jul 10 2012 - 10:52 pm Reply

Yeah, the South West is just gorgeous. I was lucky enough to grow up in one of the coastal towns there. Let me know if you guys pass through this way in the next few months – would be great to meet up :)

Peg Jul 9 2012 - 3:30 am Reply

Wow, Cherina, that is a beautiful place to spend three months.

We’re currently house sitting for ten days just outside Edinburgh, and then we’ll be sitting again for two weeks right in Edinburgh city center. I’m loving it!

I totally agree that house sitting can be a great way to travel the world, especially if you want to spend the time in each place to really get to know the area. We’re planning on doing several assignments while we’re living in Scotland for a while, and then continuing out in the world wherever we decide to go next.

Best of luck with your belated detox, lol. Enjoy a glass of red for us when it’s over.
    Peg recently posted..A Soft Place to LandMy Profile

Quiet Wanderings Jul 10 2012 - 10:58 pm Reply

Thanks for the lovely comment, Peg. How wonderful that you are living in Edinburgh! It is one of my favourite cities to live in. I lived there for just over a year and generally end up back there every couple of years to visit friends etc.
      Just out of curiosity, which agency have you gone through for house sitting in the UK?

Keep an eye out on Hecktic Travels’ site – Dalene and Pete are bringing out an ebook on house sitting for travellers. Could be useful for you.

Peg Jul 10 2012 - 11:10 pm Reply

I am loving Edinburgh. I can’t wait to spend two weeks in the city center so we can really spend some time walking around and getting to know it better.

We found the current assignment through Trusted House Sitters, and the next one through House Minders. Those are the only two we’ve paid the membership for.

Thanks for the heads-up on the ebook. I follow their site already, and I love their house sitting posts. They inspired us to start house sitting before we’re really fully traveling, and I’m so glad we went for it!
        Peg recently posted..House Sitting in Dunfermline – And Loving ItMy Profile