There’s Something About Melbourne

I have come to the conclusion that Melbourne makes me anxious: in an excited, wide-eyed, kid-in-a-candy-store kind of way.

There is just so much going on all the time that it is all a little overwhelming. I find myself not knowing where to start.

Have you been to…?

Have you seen the new…?

Did you hear about….?

…etc. There is just so much!

Hosier Lane, Melbourne

All photos by Cherina Hadley. Hosier Lane, Melbourne.

I haven’t talked about Melbourne on QW yet. Not even a little bit. Maybe you didn’t even realise that I was here. (I am. I’m not pretending!)

And I think it is probably because I am still finding my feet in this city that I decided to move to and call my home. Home for a little while at least…

And I really haven’t quite made my mind up about it just yet.

About moving here. About living here. About being so far from my family and friends in Perth.

melbourne grafitti

Is Melbourne a fabulous city? Absolutely!

Is there enough here to keep any type of person happy forevermore? Totally!

Does it tick all the boxes? Yep!

In fact, Melbourne ticks so many boxes that it is almost a little ridiculous. What city ticks all the boxes??

But this move is only a trial. I am gingerly testing the waters.

So far…I’m not feeling the urge to dive in headfirst.  I’m not really sure why.

*  *   *   *

melbourne cbd

Bourke St, Melbourne.

I think I can honestly say that on all my travels in the past 13 years, I have never felt homesick. I’m not sure I even know exactly what it feels like.

But I think that maybe I might be feeling it. Possibly. I’m not sure.

And so how does that even work anyway? How is it that I can be on the other side of the world in the middle of nowhere for months on end and barely give home a second thought?

But here I am in my own country, only a 3 hour flight from ‘home’, it’s easy, it’s familiar, it’s exciting and yet….

It’s made me start thinking about what exactly it is that makes a place feel like home….I’m still contemplating so I’ll have to get back to you on that one!

we'll never know if we never go

The lure of Melbourne has been playing on my mind for years now. When I lived in Perth, I always dreamt about living in Melbourne. Now I find myself in Melbourne romanticising about Perth. A place that I don’t even like that much. Weird.

Maybe my timing is off?

But there is definitely something about Melbourne: something truly wondrous and enticing! And one needs to be rational and think sensibly about these things, right?

I mean, where else in Australia am going to get a kick-ass Chicken Parmigiana for 10 bucks?

Or go to an exhibition opening any night of the week?

Or watch a live match at the Australian Open? (Not that I actually did that, but hey…I could have!)

Or get $20 all-you-can-eat tapas in a flashy restaurant in the CBD? (Yeah, you heard right: all-you-can-eat tapas. So good.)

movida tapas bar

These are all very important factors that need to be taken into serious consideration. Very serious. Leave it with me….

What do you think makes a place home? Is it the place? Or the people? Or both?

Von Feb 3 2012 - 3:48 am Reply

It took me ages to realise that for me, home is where the heart is. It’s about the people I love and feel good around, where I have a support network and know I am grounded. It takes ages to build that up in a new place and I am sure this will happen for you if you stay there, but in the meantime you know you always have your home here too. I miss you! x

quietwanderings Feb 3 2012 - 8:05 am Reply

Miss you too, lovely friend! Thanks for your kind words and yes, I know you struggled too. All transitions are often a little challenging. Melbourne and I are becoming friends, albeit a little slower than I expected. Looking forward to catching up soon x

Natasha @ Wandering Kiwi Feb 3 2012 - 9:40 am Reply

I have to agree, wonderful as Melbourne is it is taking me some time to properly ‘warm’ to it (despite the temperatures). People can make a big difference. But then some places are just right – I felt that when I first moved to London. Hmmm. Anyway I like the photos! Would you like to meet for a coffee sometime, I’d like to meet you other than virtually!

quietwanderings Feb 5 2012 - 12:37 am Reply

Natasha, I felt that too when I moved to Vancouver. You are right though – it does take time to warm to a place. Yes, it would be great to meet you outside of the blogosphere 😉 I’ll DM you twitter.

Eurotrip Tips Feb 3 2012 - 10:29 am Reply

I think what makes a home is what you think of it – it doesn’t matter where it is or who is there. It’s how you feel there that’s most important. Like you said, you can be surrounded by people you know and love, and still fill slightly out of place.

It takes a lot of courage to move to another city, kudos! I hope you’ll feel at home soon. From what I’ve heard, Melbourne is a wonderful place to live in.
    Eurotrip Tips recently posted..Clermont-Ferrand’s Famous Film FestivalMy Profile

quietwanderings Feb 5 2012 - 12:43 am Reply

Thanks for the encouragement, Marie-Eve. It does take courage – I think you also were very brave moving to France! Melbourne really is a great city…I just need to give it a bit of time.

Miruna Feb 4 2012 - 10:03 pm Reply

Lovely post! Home is the place where you mostly belong . I guess, both:)
    Regards!

Tash Feb 5 2012 - 3:03 am Reply

I think it’s definitely one of the great cities of the world. Welcome “home” to Melbourne…and strap yourself in, there is so much to do, and see, always!
    Tash recently posted..FeistMy Profile

Stephanie - The Travel Chica Feb 7 2012 - 7:31 pm Reply

Sounds pretty fantastic to me. I need the people and the place to fit my lifestyle.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..You Can Has Vacation (Cheaper) with TravelScoutMy Profile

quietwanderings Feb 8 2012 - 12:10 am Reply

Yep, it’s a pretty great place. I am beginning to think that both are pretty important also.

Brigid Feb 22 2012 - 10:40 am Reply

Great post and good question! As a Melbournian it’s lovely to hear that your discovering what makes this city so awesome. As someone who has lived in a different city I totally understand the feeling of finding your feet in a new place. I think the way we build a place up in our mind sets us up for a bit of a fall if things don’t live up to our expectations straight away. Maybe a place becomes your home when you start to feel comfortable and familiar with your surroundings and you begin to connect with the local community in some way? Hope you continue to enjoy all Melbourne has to offer! P.s. How awesome is Movida!
    Brigid recently posted..Je Parle Francais!…attempting to at least!My Profile

quietwanderings Feb 26 2012 - 12:49 am Reply

Thanks Brigid! All good points. I still don’t feel ‘at home’ here. I feel like I am on a bit of a vacation or something and will be going ‘home’ again soon. So strange. And oh yes, Movida is completely awesome!

Rob @ Migration Angels Australia Jun 11 2012 - 2:59 pm Reply

It’s a great city to discover! We had a lot of fun there. Unfortunately our trip only lasted 4 but can’t wait to go back. I was absolutely amazed by the number of unique cafes and bars – never a dull moment in Melbourne :)
    Rob @ Migration Angels Australia recently posted..Opportunities For Skilled Migrants in Australia’s Mining IndustryMy Profile

Quiet Wanderings Jun 23 2012 - 12:31 pm Reply

Never a dull moment, indeed! You would need a lifetime to make good use of all the great bar and cafes in Melbourne – just a good excuse for you to come back :)

Hildegarde Apr 6 2013 - 6:17 am Reply

Thanks for the great post!
    I certainly enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.
    Keep up with the great job, have a nice evening.
    Hildegarde recently posted..HildegardeMy Profile